Sunday 24 April 2016

2d - Inquiry Web2.0 - Facebook

This course has been very challenging for me. As a dancer and after my car accident I have been working in an office and had a lot of time to sit back and evaluate and learn more about myself day to day.

With my passion for dancing lost, I want to look into why that is. An inquiry into the nature of myself; beliefs and values; personal, physical, mental, social and spiritual health; human relationships including families, friends, communities, and cultures, rights and responsibilities; and ways that things can change and how I can improve.

Questions I find myself asking;



  • How can I improve professionally 
  • How can I have a work/life balance
  • How am I changing with reflection 
  • How relationships with other around me effect me
  • Exploring social and emotional characteristics
  • How people build lasting relationships
  • Social media and the effects it has on society


When looking at emotions like sadness or anger. I find myself looking at the affects of social media such as Facebook and web2.0. I have a love hate relationship with Facebook, consistently finding it causes more negative issues than good. Social networks are massively addictive. Most people I know check and interact on social sites constantly throughout the day. And they have no idea how much actual time they spend on social media. Always posting the best bits, being defined by how many likes your profile picture gets. I get so wrapped up in my virtual self that I forget sometimes to live. I look around my friends at a social gathering and everyone is glued to their phone - completely addicted to the virtual world. I admire people that have managed to disengage with this addiction only use social media such as Linkedin for professional usage only.



Recent research has shown that using social networking sites, namely Facebook, can increase people’s stress levels, produce anxiety and negatively affect a person’s sense of self. Using these sites might even cause a person to develop a mental health disorder or exacerbate an existing one. Social media even has the power to quickly spread moods around the world.
There are benefits to Facebook, Today almost every internet user uses Facebook. Using Facebook you can find your old friends and colleagues whom you have lost contact and connect with them online again. Facebook’s friend finder feature allows you to find your friends with their names or email addresses. Many people I know found their very old friends they never knew they will ever contact again. Now they have connected again through Facebook. I have kept in touch with lots of old collage friends.


Mark zuckerburg says:


 "We can help connect the next five billion people. Over the next five to ten years, most people with feature phones will get smart phones. Some of them will get smart phones just so they can use Facebook to stay connected with family and friends."


Why do we need to connect with five billion people? This is a worrying thought. Looking at my friends list I have 1500 friends - half of these are just people I have met in passing. 

"Fast Facts about Facebook

  • 1 in every 13 people on Earth is on Facebook.
  • 28% of 18-34 year olds check their Facebook account before they get out of bed.
  • On a daily basis there are 350 million photos uploaded, 4.5 billion likes, 10 billion messages sent and 22 billion times that the Like or Share buttons are viewed.
  • Al Pacino’s face was on the original Facebook homepage.
  • Smartphone users check Facebook 14 times a day.
  • There are about 30 million dead people on Facebook.
  • A third of all US divorce filings in 2011 contained the word "Facebook" in them"

 http://hubpages.com/technology/Collateral-Casualties-of-Facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment